Amazon Prime Air won approval on 31st August 2020. From the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration[FAA]. Amazon Drone Delivery is all set to begin drone delivery operations. Bringing the company one step closer to the goal. 30 minutes of drone delivery to Amazon Prime Members in the U.S.
The FAA’s decision came after the company spent years testing and training its drones. While also collecting data that showed that drone deliveries could be carried out safely. Similarly, they also demonstrated the drone delivery system for FAA inspectors. To help get the aviation regular on board.
Safety Measures Taken By Amazon For Safe Drone Delivery:
Amazon.com Inc.’s latest drone can avoid a helicopter. Moreover, it might cancel a delivery. For example, if your dog wanders into the Prime-package drop zone. Amazon is certain its drone’s decision-making can equal that of a human pilot.
WHAT IS MK27?
Amazon’s latest drone that would be making these inaugural shipments, MK27. MK27 programming will use “fail–safe logic”. To make decisions that Amazon employees can’t override. Initial flights will still be overseen. By an operator with an FAA airman certificate. And a Class III medical certificate. As a result, Amazon can command the drone. To return to base at any point during the flight. The drones will be able to maneuver around. By flying objects using onboard sensors.
KEY FEATURES OF MK27:
MK27 is designed to perform an automated response maneuver. To ensure separation from other aircraft and objects. And that a safe landing will occur without the need for any operator interventions. In the highly unlikely event of a complete lost link situation.
- However, MK27 would find the delivery area. By looking for a “unique marker”, descend to a “delivery height”, .
- They drop the package provided nothing gets in the way. The drone system is designed with default fail-safe logic. As a result, to abort delivery if an obstruction is detected.
- In the event of an accident, Amazon also has a drone “emergency response plan”. With staff working for 24 hours every day. However, Prime Air would only fly during the day time.
- Amazon plans to fly the drone 400 feet max. It will not fly over hospitals, “sensitive government facilities’’ . And football stadiums or any other sporting events. It will not take off if winds read above 24 knots. Or under “icing condition”.
- The hardware has completed more than 10,000. “real-world datasets accomplished via flights in representative backyard locations”. The drone has gone through some 15,000 simulated tests. And the software more than 250,000.
BENEFITS OF DRONE DELIVERY:
- Time Management: Firstly, the human delivery system can face many problems during parcel delivery. By using drones, the products could be delivered in lesser time without any delay.
- Prompt and Safe Delivery: Also with drone delivery, you can set the time of delivery. The drone will come at this time. And will deliver the package. Your package will reach you in good condition. Because there is not any person who is delivering the parcel. As the drones are flying in the air and they do not face any kind of traffic. So there are fewer chances that your package will get damage.
- Better for the Environment: Drones use a safe source of energy. And by ordering via drone deliveries. You are contributing to saving your environment from greenhouse gases.
- Promote E-Commerce: The drone delivery system also promotes E-Commerce. With drone delivery, the product will reach you on time. You can be sure that the chances of the package getting lost are slim.
- Drones are Cheaper: The cost of package delivery is very high. Because of the rising gas prices, cost of cars, and the POD personnel. With drone delivery, all of these costs reduce. And that is why it is cheaper.
OBSTACLES TO DRONE DELIVERY: –
1. BY THE MANUFACTURERS:
- Order Staging: Before orders are shipped, they are typically assembled. In a staging or docking area in a warehouse to be loaded into trucks. With drones, this process will need to redesign. And may require changes to how products are picked for an order. Employees will need to be trained. On these new processes to make drone delivery successful.
- Weight Limit: Since drones can presumable. And only supports orders below a certain weight. As well as the retailer may have to split the order into multiple shipments. This will increase delivery costs. And will need to be somehow offset or passed down to the consumer.
- Drop Ship Vendors: Many retailers use drop-ship vendors. These vendors will have to invest in drones to support faster delivery. To remain competitive, will have to look for other options.
- Distance Limit: Drones can travel only a certain distance. This may require retailers to load the drones. Along with the ordered products, in delivery trucks. And use drones for delivery only when they are within a defined radius.
- Requires Investment: Introducing drones as part of the delivery process requires investment. But, this investment will be a bigger strain on smaller retailers. Or use third party service that utilizes drones.
- Shipping Big Ticket Items: Drones fly a few hundred feet from the ground. And could become targets of thieves, who want to steal merchandise. Also, retailers will have to consider this before using drones. For shipment of big-ticket items. Retailer shrinkage could increase significantly after introducing drones.
- Weather Restrictions: A customer who signs up for faster delivery. Drones are not ideal for inclement weather. For example, snow, hail, and high winds. Which could delay delivery to the customer.
- Uninterrupted Service: Drones are machines that can fail. However, when that occurs. The retailers will presumably have to send another drone to deliver the order. Also, have to determine how to collect the broken drone. Or write it off as a loss.
Hence, to overcome these obstacles. Finally, Amazon has planned its drone delivery system accordingly.
Amazon is the largest online marketplace in the world. With consolidated net revenue of $177.9 billion. Finally, the company has been a pioneer in the field of drone experimentation. Uniquely with a claim to deliver packages within 30 minutes. It has made a huge investment in the drone delivery system. Named as [Amazon Prime Air]. And working with FAA for developing regulatory and safety standards. Amazon has been carrying out experimental flights. And also acquired the U.S Patent and Trademark. Similarly, they are also looking to bring personalized services. Where drones can acquire GPS locations. By customers threw mobile phones.
Likewise, the company is working on technologies. That will enable drones to navigate obstacles. Like power lines and signposts. Also, they are also working on different delivery techniques. And designs to determine the effective ones. As currently, a drone can package only up to 5 pounds. As a result, the FAA has made it mandatory for Amazon drones. To fly within 122 meters for safety reasons. Drones are set to become the future of logistics with their reduced cost. In short higher convenience. And delivery time less than 30 minutes. Amazon Drone Delivery.